Thursday, July 2, 2009

SoWi Innsbruck

SoWi stands for Sozial- und Wirtschaftswissenschaft and means Social and Economic Sciences. I spend most of my time in this building while in Innsbruck. The University of Innsbruck has several campuses that are spread all across the city. I recently had an exam at the Technical Faculty, which was out by the airport. The Medical School is close to the hospital and the main campus, which is located downtown.

School here is much different. It is not a big deal if you do not pass a class the first time. Aside from the fact that my exams are in German, I find them incredibly difficult. Your entire class performance is usually based on one final exam that covers the entire semesters worth of material. Part of me enjoys the challenge of really testing my subject knowledge and learning the new vocabulary, but the other part of me starts going crazy around exam time.

The professors are also very overworked. Unlike schools in the US, there is very little support staff. The professors do research, teaching, grading, advising and even much of the administrative work. It is difficult to get time to talk to professors.

When I first got here I contacted the international office and asked if there was a "buddy" system or something, so that I could have someone to show me the loops. I figured I could use a language partner too. They emailed me back and said that I was "kind of old" for a language parter....

In a way, you pay for what you get. School is free here- and I did not have to buy one book because they were all available in the library!

No comments:

Post a Comment