Thursday, July 1, 2010

Berchtesgaden

We have had quite a few visitors lately and I have been fortunate enough to be able to show them around the area. One place I try to take everyone is Berchesgaden.
Wikipedia has a nice summary of Berchtesgaden and important links so I won't bore you with things you can google yourself.
This particular Sunday there was a celebration of the opening of the new downtown pedestrian area. There was a band, food and 1 Euro beers!
Berctesgaden has two lovely studios that sell traditional hand crafts. After my mom gave me the hen and the set of egg cups, I contacted the pottery studio, Töpferei R. von Hoesslin, personally and requested that the other pieces be made to match. Each time we have had a visitor, I take them to Berchtesgaden and pick up a new piece!
I have collected a container for garlic (Knoblauch) and onion (Zwiebel). I also now have a butter container.
There is also a studio that does hand painted wooden items like ornaments, boxes, figurines. It is located right next to the pottery studio. I try to support the traditional art because I think it is important to keep these aspects of the culture alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment