Saturday, January 30, 2010

Bad Tölz

On the way back from Garmisch we made a spontaneous stop in Bad Tölz!

It has a historical Altstadt with beautifully painted buildings and a medieval layout.
Kaspar Winzerer III, the "Golden Knight" is prepared for rain

Inside the Mühlfeldkirche there is a very ornament nativity scene.
Perhaps some would consider the the interior a bit "kitschy" but I really thought there was incredible detail.
The reserved seating is a nice touch!
We went on a Sunday, so nothing was open, but there was enough to keep our eyes busy and a plenty of places to walk for our legs to get exercise.
On the way out of town I noticed apartments that looked exactly like the housing that I had lived in when my father was stationed in Germany. When I got home I looked up US Military installations and discovered that Americans used to be in Bad Tölz. There is a lot of history and culture in the area that is worth the research and a short visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment